Wednesday, April 26, 2006

What's Your Story?

What's a "belly story"? It's a story about how we're valuing and revaluing our body's center. Here are a couple of examples:

In The Serpent and the Wave, Jalaja Bonheim writes that while she was shopping in a local market, a toddler approached her. Proudly patting his belly, he declared "I am me!"

Did you watch Wonder Woman on television back in the '70s? I missed that. But according to Michael Sims in Adam’s Navel, when Diana Prince changed into her Wonder Woman wardrobe, special effects showed a "cosmic force seeming to radiate outward from the vicinity of her navel."

What's your story?

3 comments:

An Epistemology said...

I just now caught your comment on my blog. Thank you for the comment.

About my belly... two amazing little people came from it, at least that is how I feel...but I kind of would like my flat belly back now...if they wouldn't mind?

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...many body image questions come to mind, as a relatively sedentary wheelchair user, my body and belly have taken their own shapes... makes life and clothes very interesting indeed...one day the pants fit, another shape shift...and not :)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I find that I am shape shifting, my belly is becoming less prominent, stronger, still very sensual and sensitive, paying more attention to breathing deeply and releasing all the tension that I seem to hold in my navel area.